Individuals with special needs may be eligible for government assistance programs like SSI and Medicaid. SSI is intended to provide financial assistance for food and shelter and Medicaid provides health insurance coverage. Child support payments impact eligibility for these programs and the establishment of a special needs trust when the child becomes an adult can be critical to maximizing child support payments and government benefits for the child.
When the child is a minor and receiving SSI:
When a minor is residing with a parent, his parent’s financial resources are taken into… Read the rest
Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Attorneys are selected using a rigorous, multiphase rating process. Each candidate is evaluated on 12 indicators of peer recognition and professional achievement. Peer nominations and evaluations are combined with third party research.
The objective of Super Lawyers is to create a credible, comprehensive and diverse listing of outstanding attorneys that can be used as a resource for attorneys and consumers searching… Read the rest
1. Check when the order became effective. If you are employed, the withholding order on your wages will not be instantaneous, which means that you are responsible for paying child support directly to CSEA until the withholding order is in place, otherwise arrears will accumulate.
2. Do not pay child support directly to the other parent! Money paid directly to the other parent will be considered a gift and will not go towards your child support obligation.
3. Check how much the order is for. The amount will differ depending on whether you are providing health insurance for the child or not. If you … Read the rest
1. Gather current and past income documentation, including pay stubs, employer statements, receipts and expense vouchers related to self-generated income, tax returns with supporting documentation and schedules, and verification of health insurance coverage in advance of the Hearing.
2. Gather supporting documentation for factors that necessitate adjustments (reduction) to your income and child support including union dues, uniform fees, court-ordered child support paid for other children, court-ordered spousal support paid to another spouse, amount of local income tax, child… Read the rest